Question: Councillor D. Smith
“To ask the Chief Executive for a report on the progress for a Bike Sharing
Scheme for Fingal with specific reference to Swords and the Donabate
On the 23rd January, the Transportation Strategic Policy Committee approved the
introduction of a pilot bike sharing scheme for North Dublin including Swords
and Dublin 15 areas.
Through this pilot scheme, Fingal County Council will have the opportunity to
gain a deeper understanding of the operational requirements and impacts of
the schemes. It will enable the council to be proactive and use the opportunity
to inform the content of bye-laws for bike share services within the County.
The objectives of the pilot scheme will be as follows:
1. Determine how bike share services can be introduced within Fingal.
2. Identify how the system can co-exist with Dublin City Council:
3. Develop solutions for potential challenges:
b. Impacts on public realm
4. Identify new challenges and test solutions.
5. Develop Bye Laws based on experience with pilot.
6. Explore opportunities for greater public benefit:
a. New partnership models
b. New marketing mechanism for increasing uptake of cycling.
Expressions of Interest will now be sought from various operators of bike
sharing schemes, with a view to initiating competitive technical dialogue
procure a pilot for Fingal.